- Opening names added to Explorer
- Major changes in the server backend
- Fixed Lichess API problems
- Multiple smaller changes in the user interface
Openings in the Explorer
I've updated the displayed openings (based on the work) and added the information to the explorer pages (global and personal).
Backend moved to tRPC
When I started ChessMonitor, I wanted an easy way to validate input on the server while at the same time using TypeScript types from the backend in the frontend code. Back then I coded a custom solution based on a library called
ts-json-schema-generator. The custom solution served well for a long time, now it's replaced with
tRPC which is a much better and simpler way to create typesafe APIs.
This change meant a major effort in changing all end points but ultimately was worth the effort. It's now much easier to add information without breaking the frontend code. I'm sure that longterm this will increase development speed.
Lichess API returning many 429 (Too Many Requests) errors
There have been multiple problems in September downloading data from Lichess as some of you have noted. In the end, I could trace the error back to Lichess and report an error regarding the
/api/users endpoint. I still have a workaround in place on ChessMonitor in case this happens again, but they have fixed it now. Thanks for the quick response from Lichess!
Many minor changes
Apart from these big changes, there have been multiple small changes, like the changed account page. It now shows how long it will (roughly) take until your games are updated. This should be especially useful when there are a bunch of new users signing up.
In addition, the account page was optimized better for mobile devices and many smaller UI changes have been implemented like the use of a proper font that also works better on mobile devices.